The 12th triennial meeting of the Forum for Research on Languages of Scotland and Ulster will be hosted by the English Language & Linguistics department at the University of Glasgow on 23-25 August 2018.
The plenary talks (see here for abstracts) will be delivered by:
- Karen Corrigan (Newcastle University): “I don’t like feel that I would fit in in Lithuania anymore”: The linguistic identities of new speakers in Northern Ireland
- Robert McColl Millar (University of Aberdeen): Marginal Scots, past and present
- Roibeard Ó Maolalaigh (University of Glasgow): ‘Risk-free’ corpus planning for Scottish Gaelic? Collaborative development of basic grammatical norms for 21st century speakers
CALL FOR PAPERS – Extended deadline 30 March 2018
We welcome abstract submissions on topics related to linguistic aspects of any of the languages spoken, signed or written in Scotland or the nine counties of Ulster in the past or today.
We particularly encourage presentations on the broad theme of “Linguistic migrations”, including but not limited to the relationships and interactions within and between historical Germanic and Celtic languages of Scotland and Ulster, as well as the languages of earlier and more recent immigrants.
All theoretical approaches (or none) are welcome. Comparative studies will be considered as will discussions of the use of language in literature. We are planning a dedicated poster session, which is a format particularly suitable for ongoing projects, early career scholars, and postgraduate and doctoral students.
Full papers will be given 30 minutes (20-minute talk + 10-minute discussion) and posters will be given a dedicated 1-hour session.
Please submit abstracts* of up to 300 words (excluding references), outlining your research question(s), approach, data and/or materials used, and projected conclusions, via Easy Abs (http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/frlsu2018 ) by Friday 30 March, 2018. Submissions will be subjected to a double-blind peer-review processes. Second call for papers with registration details will be posted in early March. Notification of acceptance will be sent out in late April, 2018.
*No more than one individual and/or co-authored paper per participant. The language of the conference is English.
- Deadline for abstracts: 30 March 2018
- Notification of acceptance: late April 2018
- Early-bird registration: 1 May – 30 June 2018
- Regular registration: 1 July – 15 August 2018
- Conference dates: 23-25 August 2018
We hope to see you in Glasgow!
The FRLSU2018 Organising Committee
Contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
Find us on the Sociolinguistic Events Calendar: https://baal.org.uk/resources/slxevents/